Founded in 1909, the NAACP is the nation’s oldest and largest civil rights organization. From the ballot box to the classroom, the thousands of dedicated workers, organizers, leaders, and members who make up the NAACP continue to fight for social justice for All Americans.
Unit 7058 was originally founded in Culpeper in 1945 by the late Mortimer M. Marshall. Although the early details have been lost to time, the first Chartered Branch in Culpeper was established on September 14, 1953.
The Culpeper Branch faced many challenges throughout the early years, and participation from the community was quite limited. On April 17, 1978, the Culpeper Branch lost its charter due to a lack of membership.
Realizing Culpeper needed the strength and unity of an organization like the NAACP, the Culpeper Branch was re-charted on January 14, 1980. Since that time, the Branch has striven to improve the political, educational, social, and economic status of minority groups in the community. The struggle to end racial discrimination and its adverse effects on African Americans and other minorities continues today.
Our Executive Committee
- Rev. Frank Lewis, President
- Open, Vice President
- Cindy Taylor, Secretary
- John Doyle, Treasurer
- Kaleb Hackley, Religious Affairs Committee Chair
- Elicia Belle, Health & Wellness Chair
- Ed Dunphy, Political Action Committee Chair
- Dr. Laurel Blackmon, Education Committee Chair
- Jason Ford, Legal Redress Chair
- Ren LeVally, member at large
- Michelle Stinger, member at large
- Bettie Turner, member at large